Chicken with Peas and Wild Rice
Serves: 4 Cooking Time: 40 minutes
1 cup wild rice
1 TB butter
8 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 TB coconut oil
2 cups chicken broth
2 TB fresh thyme
1 ½ cups peas, thaw if frozen
- Add 1 cup wild rice with 2 cups of water and 1 TB butter to a 2-quart pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in an oven-proof skillet or dutch oven.
- Cook the chicken, starting skin side down for 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate when done.
- Pour chicken broth and 1 TB thyme into the skillet.
- Using a slotted spoon, add in the cooked wild rice. If there is a little bit of liquid left with the rice, go ahead and pour it all into the skillet/dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken pieces in with everything and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While baking, thaw peas by running warm water over them through a strainer.
- Remove chicken from oven and stir in peas. Allow to warm up for a few minutes.
- Top with 1 TB thyme.
Source: Adapted from realsimple.com