In creating our intentions, it is important to look at both where we want to go and who we want to be in the world. To set an intention of being fit and strong is one piece of your intention for your health. It is also important to be clear that you want to do this through healthy eating and exercise, not pills and starving yourself. Knowing who you are and who you want to be pulls you forth and drives the actions that bring your intentions into reality.
It is like deciding where you are going when you get in the car and being clear on who you are as a driver – whether for a road trip or to run some errands. You have to know where your destination is when you start out and you have to keep it in your awareness as you drive so you stay on track. Your path to the same ending point may be different than mine and it may be different than you expected when you set out, but without that awareness of where you want to go, how will you even know when you get there?
Sometimes we use mapping tools to keep us on track. Intention Flags (pictured below) are a type of mapping tool. Seeing them fly every day keeps us aware of the intentions we set and helps us get where we want to go!
I invite you to set an intention for each area of life represented in the intention flags.
Friends/Community, Personal Growth, Love & Family, Money, Self-Care, Fun & Play, Home Environment, Contribution/Career, Healthy Body and Connection to Spirit.
How to Set an Intention
- Take some time to get quiet. You may want to meditate or take a walk in nature to clear your mind.
- Once you feel grounded in the here and now, focus on one of the areas of life depicted in the Intention Flags. Choose one at a time. How do you feel about this area of your life? Are you living in a way that inspires and fulfills you in this area? What is working? What’s not working? Get clear about where you are today.
- Next, focus on how you want to feel in this area of life. Who do you want to be? Sit with the feelings, images and thoughts that come up for you. Visualize your best self.
- Write out your intention in a positive, present tense statement. “I am sharing my gifts with the world and making a huge difference for people.”
- Focus on your Intention Flag saying your intention out loud and then let it go… Don’t worry about the specifics. Trust.
To order your set of Intention Flags, send me a message at email@example.com.