Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 large artichokes
1 TB fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 TB finely chopped shallots
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
- Slice about 1″ from the artichoke tops and trim the stems. Remove the outer leaves and trim any hard, spiky points with scissors.
- Put about 2 inches of water in a large pot and insert a rack or steam basket into the pot. Bring the water to a boil.
- Place the artichokes on the rack and steam uncovered, until the bottom is tender and the outer leaves can be pulled off easily, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the artichokes from the rack with a large spoon.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, shallots and olive oil together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the artichokes with a small bowl of vinaigrette to dip the leaves in.